atom feed11 messages in net.launchpad.lists.openstackRe: [Openstack] Greatest deployment?
FromSent OnAttachments
SoLaMay 23, 2012 11:46 am
Thierry CarrezMay 24, 2012 2:45 am
John Paul WaltersMay 24, 2012 5:49 am
Matt JoyceMay 24, 2012 8:34 am
Matt JoyceMay 24, 2012 8:40 am
Michael ChapmanMay 29, 2012 9:31 pm
Matt JoyceMay 30, 2012 10:06 am
Soren HansenMay 30, 2012 12:38 pm
Matt JoyceMay 30, 2012 12:54 pm
Soren HansenMay 30, 2012 1:23 pm
Huang ZhitengMay 30, 2012 8:13 pm
Subject:Re: [Openstack] Greatest deployment?
From:John Paul Walters (jwal@isi.edu)
Date:May 24, 2012 5:49:18 am
List:net.launchpad.lists.openstack

Hi,

On May 24, 2012, at 5:45 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:

OpenNebula has also this advantage, for me, that it's designed also to provide scientific cloud and it's used by few research centres and even supercomputing centres. How about Openstack? Anyone tried deploy it in supercomputing environment? Maybe huge cluster or GPU cluster or any other scientific group is using Openstack? Is anyone using Openstack in scentific environement or Openstack's purpose is to create commercial only cloud (business - large and small companies)?

OpenStack is being used in a number of research clouds, including NeCTAR (Australia's national research cloud). There is huge interest around bridging the gap there, with companies like Nimbis or Bull being involved.

Hopefully people with more information than I have will comment on this thread.

We're developing GPU, bare metal, and large SMP (think SGI UV) support for
Openstack and we're targeting HPC/scientific computing workloads. It's a work
in progress, but we have people using our code and we're talking to folks about
getting our code onto nodes within FutureGrid. We have GPU support for LXC
right now, and we're working on adding support for other hypervisors as well.
We're also working on getting the code into shape for merging upstream, some of
which (the bare metal work) has already been done. We had an HPC session at the
most recent Design Summit, and it was well-attended with lots of great input.
If there are specific features that you're looking for, we'd love to hear about
it.

By the way, all of our code is available at https://github.com/usc-isi/nova, so
if you'd like to try it out before it gets merged upstream, go for it.

best, JP