atom feed3 messages in net.launchpad.lists.openstackRe: [Openstack] Stable Branch, alt ti...
FromSent OnAttachments
Lloyd DewolfApr 6, 2012 9:12 am
Mark McLoughlinApr 10, 2012 8:57 am
Lloyd DewolfApr 11, 2012 1:09 pm
Subject:Re: [Openstack] Stable Branch, alt title: What happens to Diablo
From:Mark McLoughlin (mar@redhat.com)
Date:Apr 10, 2012 8:57:33 am
List:net.launchpad.lists.openstack

Hi,

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 09:13 -0700, Lloyd Dewolf wrote:

I've updated http://wiki.openstack.org/StableBranch to put Diablo in the past, and Essex as the current stable release.

I'm delighted to see that Mark McLoughlin already has "Stable Branch" on the agenda for the Summit, http://summit.openstack.org/sessions/view/29

Before the summit I hope to get clarification on "The stable branch will only be maintained until the next release is out. This period may be extended if there are volunteers to maintain it beyond this point."

I suspect we can generally agree that Diablo and future each stable - 1 should still be "supported" for some overlap with the current stable release, and beyond that would be dependent on... well the organizations dependent on that release.

How long will https://launchpad.net/~openstack-stable-maint continue to maintain Diablo? Based on that we can determine if there is a group interested in continuing to own maintenance for an additional period.

It's a good question, and one that we still need to figure out an answer to.

Judging by the level of interest so far in helping to maintain the branch, I think this would work:

- Core projects in a given release have a stable branch for that release maintained by openstack-stable-maint

- A stable branch is actively maintained (read - the branch maintainers actively monitor master for patches to backport and release new versions from the branch) until the next release comes out

- A stable branch is then passively maintained (read - the branch maintainers will backport security fixes and accept patches for high impact issues, but will not do new releases) until the next release after that comes out

Giving a current state of stable-maint actively maintaining stable/essex and passively maintaining stable/diablo. We will EOL stable/diablo when Folsom comes out.

Of course, we can always re-evaluate the policy if interest increases.

Looking forward to discussing further at the summit ...

Cheers, Mark.